Monday, January 01, 2007

Lists.

So here we are, one year later. The Harveys are the reason I started this blog in the first place, and that's also why their links remain at the top.

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail here. If you don't know what I'm talking about you can read my older posts, or go to any news site and type in "Bryan Harvey" and get the whole story. I have to admit, I've been very angry the past couple of weeks because it seems like every music site in the world has listed Bryan as one of their "Worst of 2006" news tidbits. All because he was a musician and because he died tragically on New Year's Day.

Everyone that knew Bryan and his family has been changed because of how they lived, not how they died. To reduce the Harveys to a news factoid to be tacked onto the beginning or end of some list that will only exist in everyone's mind for a few weeks is the real tragedy. How dare they.

I don't know why I ever expected more to begin with. People love lists, love being able to package stuff into little 3-minute increments. Remember this? Remember that? And then they move on to a story about losing that holiday fat or how resolutions are a waste of time.

I admit, I spent the better part of yesterday and today remembering the Harveys. Collecting my memories of them, looking at old pictures. I still can't play his music without losing it though. That'll come though, I know it will. Grieving takes time. It can't be packaged into a list.

No comments:

ShareThis