Saturday, June 03, 2006

Baby Ducks Update

I haven't posted in a while. May is always a huge "rush" with the end of school, spring planting, etc. I did find out that the baby ducks died because of malnutrition. A vet did autopsies and there was no sign of trauma. Two news reporters were kind enough to email me with this information. They just believe that the ducklings were too small to climb up and out of the reservoir and because of the lack of rain, there wasn't enough vegetative growth (algae?) for them to survive.

And today during my walk I was overjoyed to discover nine new ducklings paddling about. So tiny you couldn't even see them unless you were right over them. And these were climbing up the side of the reservoir as well as swimming about and looking cute.

It lifted my heart beyond words.

I've joined my neighborhood's mailing list, and am in the process of getting to know my neighbors and becoming a member of my neighborhood association. It seems so simple, but it has taken me a long time to "find my voice" instead of just preaching about speaking out. Baby steps, baby steps. I wonder if other people go through this kind of internal conflict?

No comments:

ShareThis